Celebrate Mothers in May!
Did you know that more phone calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year? These chats with Mom often cause phone traffic to spike by as much as 37%! In the United States, Mother’s Day is celebrated by presenting mothers with gifts and flowers, though Mother’s Day customs vary throughout the world. In Ethiopia, families gather in the autumn to sing songs and eat a large feast as part of Antrosht, a multi-day celebration honoring motherhood.
The Gift of Wonder
by Eleanor Reynolds
When I was a child, I was lucky enough to live in a warm climate where I could play outside in my bare feet. I caught spiders in a jar and gave them names, held bugs in my hand, played with stray dogs that followed me home and kittens who kept being born in our garage. My sisters and I learned about life and death by watching my father awkwardly butcher chickens and rabbits. My parents left a city back east, and bought an old house and half-acre in the suburbs before there were housing tracts.
Education News Highlights
- The ADHD Fallacy: It’s Time To Stop Treating Childhood as a Disease:
- Duncan wants new law to include early childhood education, state oversight:
- More Time Spent in High-Quality Early Childhood Programs is Especially Beneficial for DLLs:
- Infant Brain Activity May Predict Language Skills in Children with Autism:
- Inconsistent training leaves special education staff struggling:
- A Matter of Equity: Preschool in America:
To sign up for next month's issue, click here! NEWSlink has recipes, product reviews, giveaway contests, crafts and more!