- To build creativity and fine motor skills
- To create a lasting keepsake
Before You Start: Gather materials needed: craft frames, tempera paint, paintbrushes, sponge/foam brushes, paint trays, glue, glitter, beads, feathers, pieces from old puzzles, pom-poms and other decorative items. Have children bring a current photo of themselves to class, or take a photo of each child to use for the activity.
Let's Get Started! Step 1. Let each child choose the color(s) they would like to use to paint their frame. Allow them to paint the frames any way they like, and let dry overnight.
Step 2. Provide children with the craft materials you have gathered to decorate their frames, and give each one a craft cup with glue and a foam brush to apply them. Encourage them to experiment using different materials as they work on the decorating their frames. Let dry overnight.
Step 3. Insert each child's photo into their individual frames and display in the classroom. Now students have a gift to take home for Mother's Day or to have as a memorable keepsake!
Furthermore: This is a great activity to incorporate a lesson about monochromatic colors (same color, different shades) or complementary colors (colors across the color wheel) when preparing to paint the frames. You could also have the children draw their portrait or write a poem to put into their frames as an alternative to using photos.
Products You May Need:
- Colorations® Simply Washable Tempera Paint, 16 oz.
- Colorations® Best Value Plastic Handle Paint Brushes - Set of 30
- Brawny Tough Plastic Art Trays - Set of 5
- Colorations® Washable School Glue - 1.25 oz.
- Foam Brush & Roller Super Set - 40 Pieces
- Rainbow Feathers Classroom Pack - 8 oz.
- Bag of Pom Poms - 1 lb.
- Colorations® Extra-Safe Plastic Glitter - 1 lb.