- To have fun creating an original Valentine's Day cards
- To encourage creative expression through art
- To educate children about fingerprints and their uniqueness
Before You Start: Set out red BioColor® paint on paint trays that children can easily dip their thumbs into for finger-painting. Provide small pieces of white or pink construction paper (cardstock will work also) for each child to use for their cards. Set out small bowls with glue and/or glue sticks, glitter, Colorations® crayons and marker, doilies and other related collage materials.
Let's Get Started! Step 1. Talk to the children about fingerprints and their uniqueness. This is a great opportunity for discussion about the personal traits and characteristics that make each of us special.
Step 2. Have children fold their construction paper or cardstock over in half to make their cards.
Step 3. Show them how to dip their thumbs one at a time into the paint and press onto paper, overlapping in a heart shape. Have them repeat on their own, until they've decorated the front of their cards with as many "hearts" as they like.
Step 4. Once the paint dries, allow children to continue decorating the outside (and inside) of their cards. Enourage them to be creative with this.
Step 5. Have everyone write a special Valentine message on the inside of their cards. (The teacher may need to help younger children with this step.) Now everyone has their own unique cards to pass out or display in the classroom.
Furthermore: Turn this activity into an opportunity for scientific exploration. Gather some small magnifying glasses and have children look at their fingerprints up-close. Talk about what kinds of patterns they see. The children can compare and contrast their finger-prints with each other. Alternatively, continue the discussion about the ways people are unique. Create a large heart out of butcher paper and write the different traits the children think are special about themselves. Display on the wall or bulletin board for the Valentine's holiday.
Products You May Need:
- 9" x 12" Colorations® Heavyweight Construction Paper
- Make-It-Yourself Cardstock - 100 Sheets
- BioColor® Paint, 16 oz.
- Fingerprint Art Stamp Pad Trays - Set of 3
- Colorations® Marker & Crayon Combo Pack - 400 Pieces
- Small Pink Heart Doilies, 4" - Pack of 100
- Small Heart Doilies, 4-inch - Pack of 100
- Red Hearts Confetti - 1 oz.
- Colorations® Extra-Safe Plastic Glitter - 1lb.
- Colorations® Washable School Glue - 1.25 oz.
- Butcher Paper Rolls
- Excellerations™ Super Magnifier - Set of 6
- Brawny Tough Plastic Art Trays - Set of 5
- Best Value Paint Bowls - Set of 6