- To encourage reading by having children create a handcrafted bookmark of their own
Before You Start: Cut foam sheets into manageably sized pieces. Have glue, scissors, jumbo craft sticks and markers ready. Also, have special items available like sequins, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, feathers, wiggly eyes, buttons, etc. for decorations!
Let's Get Started! Step 1. Start by giving each child a jumbo craft stick.
Step 2. Have the children use the foam pieces to create shapes of bugs, butterflies or anything else they imagine.
Step 3. Glue the foam shapes to the jumbo craft sticks (front or back).
Step 4. Add details by drawing designs on the foam using pipe cleaners for antennae.
Step 5. Glue on wiggly eyes and add feathers for added fun!
Furthermore: Bookmarks are fun and easy for class projects and also make great gifts. Incorporate this activity into a literacy lesson. Have children choose a book they would like to read (or have read to them). Children can use their bookmarks to mark a favorite page in the book.
Products You May Need:
- Foam Sheets - 30 Pieces
- Colorations® Washable School Glue - 1.25 oz.
- Pipe Cleaners - 100 or 1,000 Pieces
- Pom Poms - 300 Pieces
- Black Self-Adhesive Wiggly Eyes - Pack 100
- Assorted Grandma's Buttons - 1lb.
- Rainbow Feathers Classroom Pack - 8 oz.
- Colorations® Super Washable Classic Markers - Set of 16
- Colorations® Comfort Grip Blunt Tip Scissors